Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Great Love versus Right Love

I've always been a Chuck/Blair fan so after watching the season 4 finale, it made realize that they really do look good together. They really matched, and seeing Chuck give her away like that has broken my heart. Blair was right when she said, "What we have is a great love, intense, all-consuming, what's mere happiness in the face of all that?" I have always believed that love was supposed to be light and easy, but I've come to believe that compromise makes it easy and pain makes love worthwhile. This was why I chose to stay for P. I chose pain over happiness because I didn't want to forget. He was safe, and there was nowhere else I could go.

Louis is good for Blair. Unlike Chuck, he is the fairytale. His love is stable, just the way Blair needs it to be. However, he is someone new and I can understand Blair if that scares her. Chuck was always there - comfortable, safe, steady. "People don't write sonnets about compatibility or novels about shared life goals and stimulating conversations. The great loves are the crazy ones," Blair said. Chuck and Blair, as a couple, they have been a roller coaster ride. They've been through a lot, and I guess it's not easy to leave a love as great as that. When I look back on P and me, it was crazy; but it was also great. He was the one I measured everyone against, and letting go just seems impossible because he was the one who changed me. No matter what, he'll always be a part of who I am.

When Chuck said, "There's a difference between a great love and a right love," I knew what he was thinking. I've heard that line so many times before but I never really understood it. My stubbornness and naivety prevented me from ever admitting that the two are different. I remember hearing it from someone that you can have a lot of great loves, but there's only one right love. Well, I guess great loves are important to help you reach your right love. Still, they make it really difficult and painful as well. "You think you shouldn't have it because you've never had it and it scares you, but you deserve your fairytale," Chuck said. Well, I'd have to give it to Chuck for maturing this much. I can understand how difficult it is to let go and see the one you love be with another person. I understand how difficult it is to say that, while choking on your words. Chuck and Blair had their time, now it's time to be happy.

Chuck: Do not let anyone tell you you're not powerful. You're the most powerful woman I know.
Blair: It's taking all the power I have to walk away from you.
Chuck: I know, but I need to let you go. You need to let go.
Blair: I will always love you.
Chuck: I will always love you.

Well, it was a nice happily never after for them. Still, I believe that the right ones are the ones that will always return. We'll have to see next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment